Dublin Zoo opened its doors on 1 September 1831. Founded as a private society by anatomists and physicists and supported by wealthy subscribers.
In 1840, featuring 46 mammals and 72 birds donated by London Zoo, the radical decision was to throw its gates open to the public for a penny on Sundays. This gesture, remarkable for that time, established the affectionate relationship that still exists between Dubliners and the ‘ah-Zoo’ in the Phoenix Park.
Image | Original Zoo Lodge, built in 1833, although unoccupied now, it was originally a home for staff and and is located at the entrance to the zoo | Photography by Damien Slattery