Charles Stewart Parnell was one of the most significant political figures in Ireland during the second half of the 19th century. As leader of the Home Rule Party, he made a notable contribution to the progress towards national self-determination and he also played an important role in the Land War in post-Greater Hunger Ireland. His fall in 1890 split the party but there was still a huge groundswell of support for him and in 1898 a movement was established to have a monument erected to his achievements.
The foundation stone of the monument was laid in 1899, and the years of fund-raising, including appeals to the Irish Diaspora in the United States, finally came to fruition on 1st October 1911 with the unveiling of the Parnell Monument at the north end of O’Connell Street. Augustus Saint Gardens was the sculptor and a souvenir booklet, with black and white photographs, was published by Sealy, Bryers and Walker, 1911.