The Irish White Cross was initiated by Larry O’Neill and managed by the Quaker businessman, and later Irish Free State senator, James G. Douglas. The White Cross continued to operate until the Irish Civil War and its books were officially closed in 1928. From 1922 its activities were essentially wound down and remaining funds divested to subsidiary organisations. The longest running of these aid committees was the Children’s Relief Association which distributed aid to child victims of this troubled period, north and south of the border, until 1947.
Nancy O’Rahilly served on the executive of The White Cross. Nancy’s husband, The Rahilly, was one of the martyrs of Irish independence and freedom, dying as one of the leaders of the Easter Rising.