1971 – 9-11: During the internment round-up operation in west Belfast, the British parachute regiment killed eleven unarmed civilians, in what became known as ‘The Ballymurphy Massacre’.

On Monday 9th of August 1971 Interment Without Trial was introduced by the British Government in the North of Ireland. This policy was implemented by the British Army at 4am on that particular summer morning. The British Army directed the campaign against the predominately Catholic community with the stated aim to “shock and stun the civilian population”.

Between 9th and 11th of August 1971, over 600 British soldiers entered the Ballymurphy area of west Belfast, raiding homes and rounding up men. Many, both young and old, were shot and beaten as they were dragged from their homes without reason. During this 3 day period 11 people were brutally murdered.

All 11 unarmed civilians were murdered by the British Army’s Parachute Regiment. One of the victims was a well-known parish priest and another was a 45-year-old mother of eight children. No investigations were carried out and no member of the British Army was held to account.

It is believed that some of the soldiers involved in Ballymurphy went on to Derry some months later where similar events occurred. Had those involved in Ballymurphy been held to account, the events of Bloody Sunday may not have happened.

The terrible events which took place in Ballymurphy in 1971 have for too long remained in the shadows. The families of those murdered, have kept the spotlight on how 11 innocent people met their deaths over a three-day period in August 1971.

The Ballymurphy Massacre Families have proposed the appointment of an Independent Panel to examine all documents relating to the context, circumstances and aftermath of the deaths of their loved ones. Its focus would include: the investigation of the role of the British Government, British Army, criminal justice agencies such as the RUC, DPP, the Coroner’s Office and the significance of the media. The panel’s work would reflect the terms of reference of the British Government-funded work of the Hillsborough Independent Panel.

Over 40 years after the massacre, the campaign grows from strength to strength. The families, along with local support, continue to raise the funds necessary to drive the campaign.

Six civilians were shot on 9 August, these were:

Francis Quinn (19), shot by a sniper (who had taken position at the nearby army base) while going to the aid of a wounded man.

Hugh Mullan (38), a Catholic priest, shot by a sniper while going to the aid of a wounded man.

Joan Connolly (50), shot as she stood opposite the army base.

Daniel Teggart (44), was shot fourteen times. Most of the bullets allegedly entered his back as he lay injured on the ground.

Noel Phillips (20), shot as he stood opposite the army base.

Joseph Murphy (41), shot as he stood opposite the army base.

One civilian was shot on 10 August, and another four were shot on 11 August, these were:

Edward Doherty (28), shot while walking along Whiterock Road.

John Laverty (20) and Joseph Corr (43) were shot at separate points at the Top of the Whiterock Road. Laverty was shot twice, once in the back and once in the back of the leg. Corr was shot multiple times and died of his injuries on 27 August.

John McKerr (49), shot by unknown attackers while standing outside the Roman Catholic church, died of his injuries on 20 August.

Paddy McCarthy (44) got into a confrontation with a group of soldiers. One of them put an empty gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. McCarthy suffered a heart-attack and died shortly thereafter

Ballymurphy Massacre Campaign for Truth and Justice

Irish Times Article

#Truth #Justice #Ballymurphy


Posted by

Stair na hÉireann is steeped in Ireland's turbulent history, culture, ancient secrets and thousands of places that link us to our past and the present. With insight to folklore, literature, art, and music, you’ll experience an irresistible tour through the remarkable Emerald Isle.