St Andrew’s Church is a former parish church of the Church of Ireland that is located in Andrew Street, Dublin. It now houses the Central Tourist Office.
The original St Andrew’s Church was located on present-day Dame Street, but disappeared during Oliver Cromwell’s reign in the mid-17th century. A new church was built in 1665 a little further away from the city walls, on an old bowling-green close to the Thingmote, the old assembly-place of the Norse rulers of the city. Due to its shape, it was commonly known as the “Round Church”. Local landlords of the time, Lord Anglesey (after whom Anglesey Street is named) and Sir John Temple (after whose family Temple Bar is named) were churchwardens. The architect was William Dodson. The neighbouring houses were located in that part of the Dublin Corporation estate known as “the Whole Land of Tib and Tom”.
The church was rebuilt in 1793, but burnt down in 1860, when the present building was constructed.
The boundaries of the ecclesiastical parish were coextensive to those of the civil parish of St Andrew. The population of this parish in 1901 was 3,058, in 1971 it was 300.
Vanessa, former pupil of Jonathan Swift, was buried in St. Andrew’s Church in June 1723.
Thomas Dalton, Lord Chancellor of Ireland, was buried here in 1730.
Marmaduke Coghill, member of Parliament for Dublin University, judge of the Prerogative Court and Chancellor of the Exchequer was buried in the family vault in this church in 1738.
Alderman Thomas Pleasants, father of Thomas Pleasants the developer and philantropist, was buried in the church-yard of this church in 1729.
St. Andrew’s Church is a Roman Catholic church located in Westland Row, Dublin. Construction started in 1832, it opened for public worship in 1834 but was not completed until 1837.
The architect appointed to design the church was John Bolger. However, he used the plans for a previous church, in Townsend Street, which had been designed by James Leeson. Assistance was received from Francis Johnston and James Lever. The roof was by Richard Turner. The exterior of the church has a Doric portico with a statue of St. Andrew, sculpted by Edward Smith.
On 7 January 1940 ornamentation fell from the ceiling, which prompted an investigation and refurbishment. This started in 1942 when the interior was renovated and painted. All sculptures were restored at the same time.
Dominic Corrigan (1802-1880), a noted physician, is buried in the crypt of the church.
The organist of St. Andrew’s is Carole O’Connor.
Photo: Former St. Andrew’s Church, Andrew Street, Dublin.
Photo: Present St. Andrew’s Church, located in Westland Row, Dublin.
Photo: St Andrew’s Church of Ireland and Dublin Tourism Centre.