John Stearne (b. Dublin – d. 18 November 1669), founder and first president of the College of Physicians. The Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (RCPI), (Irish: Coláiste Ríoga Lianna na hÉireann) was founded in 1654 and is a postgraduate medical organisation comprising Members and Fellows. It is a sister institute of the 3 royal colleges of physicians in the United Kingdom: Edinburgh, Glasgow and London. The “Royal” in the title comes from the Royal Charters that were granted in 1667, by King Charles II of England, and in 1692, by King William III and Queen Mary II of England, it was known as the King and Queen’s College of Physicians in 1889, under charter of Queen Victoria, the college became the Royal College of Physicians. Since its foundation Royal College of Physicians of Ireland has seen 130 presidents. The first one was John Stearne, M & J.U.D who was born on 26 November 1624, at Ardbraccan, County Meath was nominated President of the College of Physicians for life. He died on 18 November 1669. Originally the college met in Trinity Hall on Dame Street, and after that in Sir Patrick Duns Hospital, in 1864 the college acquired the former town house of the Earl of Portarlington, in Kildare Street which had been used by the Kildare St Club, where the college remains today. Sir Patrick Dun left his Library to the college after his death in 1713, the library is known as Duns Library ever since. Among the famous past presidents of the College were Sir Patrick Dun (1681-93), Henry Marsh (1841), Robert J. Graves (1843), William Stokes (1849), Sir Dominic Corrigan (1859-1863). The College offers the postgraduate MRCPI qualification. There is a separate and distinct MRCP(UK) qualification, run by the Royal Colleges of Physicians in Glasgow, Edinburgh and London. In recent years the college has conducted examinations overseas in its centre in Dubai and in other locations in the middle east.