Michael Logue (1 October 1840 – 19 November 1924) was Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland from 1887 to 1924 and a cardinal in the Roman Catholic Church from 1893 to 1924. As such he participated in the 1903, 1914, and 1922 conclaves that elected Pope Pius X, Pope Benedict XV, and Pope Pius XI respectively.
Michael Logue was born in Kilmacrennan in County Donegal in 1840. He was the son of Michael Logue, a blacksmith and Catherine Durning. He was a student in Maynooth College from 1856 to 1866, where, on account of his academic brilliance, he was nicknamed the “Northern star”. Even before his ordination as a priest he was appointed to the chairs of Theology and Belles Lettres in the Irish College in Paris in 1866. Later that year he was ordained.
He remained in Paris until 1874, when he returned to become Administrator (in effect parish priest) of an Irish Catholic parish in that year before becoming in 1876 Chairs of Irish and Dogmatic Theology in Maynooth College.
On the 13 May 1879 he became Bishop of Raphoe, an Irish diocese in the north-west of the island, around Donegal.
Logue was involved in fundraising to help people during the 1879 Irish famine, which, due to major donations of food and government intervention never developed into a major famine.
Logue was also heavily involved in the Irish temperance movement to discourage the consumption of alcohol.
On 18 April 1887 Logue was made Coadjutor Bishop of Armagh. He became Archbishop of Armagh on 3 December 1887 following the death of Archbishop Daniel MacGettigan. He was made a cardinal by Pope Leo XIII on 19 January 1893. Logue took over the completion of the Victorian gothic St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Armagh. The new cathedral, which towered over Armagh, was dedicated on 24 July 1904.
Logue was a public supporter for Irish Home Rule and endorsed the Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1921. That year, the death of Cardinal James Gibbons made Logue archpriest (protoprete) of the College of Cardinals.
He died in Ara Coeli, the residence of the archbishop, on 19 November 1924 and was buried in a cemetery in the grounds of his cathedral.